FREE online SEO course: Competitive Analysis and Keyword Research CourseGetting the big picture7 lessons
SEMrush Domain Overview: Getting the Big Picture of a Domain's Online Visibility
Hello and welcome to our SEMrush SEO Toolkit course! My name is Ashley Ward, I'm a digital marketing strategist at SEMrush and a passionate digital marketer. I'll guide you through this course.
In this module, we'll start our SEO journey with learning how to carry out a competitive analysis. Understanding your competition and identifying their strengths and weaknesses is an indispensable first step of building your own SEO strategy. It's very important to always be aware of what your rivals have done, study their best practices, and learn from their mistakes to avoid making your own.
Why It's Important to Know Your Competitive Landscape
When it comes to organic rankings, you have to pay double attention to your competitive environment, as you can be unexpectedly outranked by indirect rivals who decided to target the same keywords.
A perfect starting point to perform competitive research and find the gaps in your competitors' strategies is to get the big picture by using the Domain Overview report. It provides you with a quick overview of any queried domain's overall search engine presence.
SEMrush Domain Overview Functionality
With this report, you can:
- See your competitor's estimated organic and paid traffic, and number of backlinks
- Analyze their top keywords in terms of organic positions, recent position changes, and advertising keywords
- Preview other organic and paid search reports.
Let's explore the report. First, let us see what the Domain Overview report gives you. If you like, feel free to follow along in your own SEMrush account; the practice will allow you to show your proficiency later, when taking the exam. So, start by typing your competitor's domain name into the search box. Then, choose the desired database and decide whether you want to obtain mobile or desktop data.
What Metrics You Will Find in the Report
You will see all the essential information on a queried domain, including:
- Organic and paid traffic and keywords
- Keyword distribution between databases
- Organic traffic cost, which is an estimation of how much it would cost if your competitor were to bid on organic keywords through Google Ads
- Paid traffic cost
- The number of backlinks
- AdSense data
- Comparison between organic and paid traffic
If you scroll down, you will see this information broken down into several sections. From an SEO standpoint, the most important is the organic search section.
Insights into Your Competitors' Organic Strategies
It comprises several subsections of the most representative data:
- The Top Organic Keywords list, which basically shows you the keywords that drive the highest amount of traffic.
- The Organic Positions Distribution list, with the help of which you can judge how many of your rivals' keywords actually hit the spot.
- The Main Competitors list and the Competitive Positioning map. Here you can find the list of organic competitors suggested by SEMrush based on a percentage of common organic keywords.
- The Branded Search widget, the Branded vs Non-Branded graph, and the branded traffic trend. A high amount of non-branded search traffic can be a sign of effective SEO, implying that a website gets traffic from searches that don't have any brand loyalty or intention.
All of these subsections provide you with an overview of your competition's strategy in organic search and presence in organic positions. You can click on each piece of data to bring you to the appropriate report in the Organic Research section, which we will review later on in this module.
SEMrush Domain Overview: Lesson Summary
Let's conclude. This lesson was devoted to the Domain Overview report, which helps you to take a birds-eye view of your competitors' strategies and the results of their SEO activities in organic search. This allows you to gain the upper hand over your competition.
Competitive Analysis and Keyword Research Course
7 lessons1 hour
Learn how to take the first, most important, steps in SEO -- competitive analysis and keyword research -- with SEMrush tools. These steps are indispensable in building a winning SEO strategy. Learn more.
You’ve completed the course! The course is left open for you, so you can go back and watch the videos at any time navigating through the left-hand menu. Now take the next step towards perfection and try to pass the Competitive Analysis and Keyword Research Test.
Share your achievement
You are going to start the !
Before you start, review the information below:
Certify your team request
Want to rest assured that your employees’ knowledge of the SEMrush toolset is up to the mark?
If you’re interested in making a request, please leave your email.
Become a contributor
Want to join the SEMrush Academy expert community? You will have the opportunity to reveal your own tips and tricks on SEMrush tools. If you’re interested, leave your email.