Ever since Panda 4.0 came out, it's more important than ever to know what to do when it comes to SEO for your written online content.
SEO is what gets your site noticed; it can also get your site banned from search engines. Content needs to be optimized correctly in order for it to receive the right notice that you want instead of being buried on the search engine results pages.
Keep reading: we’re going to take a look at how exactly you can correctly optimize your online content and get the right kind of attention from Google.
1. Long Content vs. Short Content: Which is the Winner? This is a debate that has been raging on for a few years now. We hear that people won’t read long content and then hear that people only want long content because they feel it is more researched.
You can write the shortest content ever or the longest; what truly matters is your reputation and quality content. People are completely different from each other and prefer many different things. This is why you’re often encouraged to utilize multiple content formats because it gets your content out there to more people.
2. Make Your Content Like a Steak and Potato Dinner. What proper SEO content needs is substance and quality. If it lacks in these areas, your ranks suffer and your readership declines. While some people may not have a long attention span, they still want to read something that is filled with substance and useful information. If you are constantly writing your content to be ranked only by the search engines, readers are going to roll their eyes and go on to the next site.
Incorrectly used SEO content drives readers away just as fast as you can receive a ban from the almighty Google. Write your content as naturally as possible and teach people useful information about your particular product. You don’t need to become a university professor and give people incredibly detailed information, but just a few tidbits will be enough to entice readers to read further and use your company.
3. The User Experience Needs to Be Good. User experience is vital to having a successful website and it is a major part of optimizing your content with the best possible results. The user experience is comprised of multiple elements that can either make or break a website.
You know just how important this is because you are a user and have been to a number of websites. Think back to the latest website you went to that had a poor user experience. Now think back to the latest one that had an amazing experience. Which website do you think you’ll go back to? Obviously, you’ll revisit the one with the best experience. A few of the elements in user experience are:
- How easy your website is to understand
- Providing great navigation around your site that flows naturally (much like a grocery store layout)
- Translating to any browser and device seamlessly
- Having a visually appealing design and great information for customers to enjoy
4. Use Keywords Sparsely. Keywords are a piece of the overall puzzle of writing correct SEO content. You want to use keywords for the majority of your content, but you want to make sure you don’t overuse them. If you stuff keywords throughout your content, it will be apparent to potential clients that you are aiming to reach the bots and search engines instead of real people. This is an instant red flag to many people and they’ll usually head on over to your competitor.
In addition, Google doesn’t like the keyword stuffed content that many have put out there. Google considers this spam and will slap a ban on you, especially now in post-Panda 4.0 SEO land. It is important to stay away from black hat SEO like this. You should have already been avoiding this, but if you hadn’t made that change yet, now is the best time to start.
5. Utilize Google Authorship When Posting Your Content. An integral part to getting content higher up in the search results is to have your blog linked up with your Google+ account. You will start getting more followers and viewers of your content, which will help bump up your authority.
How does Google Authorship work? Social Media Examiner explains that when you post something under your Google account, it automatically gets tagged, which informs Google you created that particular post. The more tags you have about the posts you’ve written, the better.
6. Provide Uniquely Valuable Content. Unique websites are perfect because they help you standout, but when we say to provide uniquely valuable content we are referring to something else. You want your content to contain incredible information and things to takeaway after reading. While your website might give valuable information, it might not be unique. The best way to make it unique is to give old statements a new twist in your own words or use a story to illustrate why something is important.
Storytelling will definitely help you get that new, unique twist to your content and help you write up some amazingly valuable information. Uniquely valuable content is crucial in SEO content because it helps you stand out and shows that you have something to give clients, which other companies cannot.
7. Allow Your Site to Be Shared via Social Media. Allowing your content to be shared via social media and optimizing that content is a great way to boost ranks and correctly optimize your SEO content. Social media is becoming a major contender in SEO ranking and it will get your business out there in an amazing way.
Never underestimate its power. If you post something and a follower likes it, it will pop up in the news feed of that follower’s friends. The same goes for if you allow your information to be shared by people after they’ve read it. They can share it and their friends will see it. If one of their friends shares the information, or likes it, even more people will see your post. Use social media and let other share your content easily.
8. Use Metadata. According to Search Engine Watch, your site needs to have more than just a blog and other written content for correctly optimized SEO content — it needs Metadata as well. This includes things such as title tags and meta descriptions. One key thing to remember with your meta descriptions is that they need to be unique to the particular page you are writing about. Don’t make it a description of your overall website or services, but about the specific page. If it is a blog, summarize the blog. If it is a landing page, summarize the landing page.
9. Hyperlink Your Keywords With Relevant Links. When you are writing content that uses keywords, make sure to hyperlink at least one of those keywords. That is what you used to bring people in, so why wouldn’t you hyperlink it? Use it to direct people to your products, services or a particular blog post that gives more information. This is the best way to boost revenue using SEO content.
For example, if you are selling vegetable-based hair dye and use a keyword such as “vegetable based hair dye” or “vegan hair dye” make sure to hyperlink it with your product’s landing page. Always make sure the word or phrase is relevant, as well. If you want people to click to view something such as an FAQ about vegetable hair dye, don’t say “click here” and hyperlink that phrase. Instead, hyperlink “frequently asked questions” or “about vegetable hair dye.” Again, always hyperlink relevant words and phrases to get the best results from using keywords and your product landing pages.
10. Optimize Your Images. People love images and those are some of the most popular searches now, thanks to sites such as Pinterest. Content Marketing Institute says that you need to optimize your images so the images can be discovered by searchers on both image searches and page searches. In order to optimize an image, you can use both alt tags and image tags. What are these? Let’s break them down a little further:
- Alt Tags: These are alternate text tags that can be used to describe the image when it can’t be displayed for some reason due to a client’s faulty Internet connection. Make sure to use keywords in alt tags to get the best results in search engines.
- Image Tags: This is similar to alt tags but refers to what people see when they hover their mouse over the image. These can help your image appear in search results and give your readers a brief description as to why the image is important to your post.
In the End
Correctly optimized SEO content is crucial to getting ranked on Google and bringing in more readers and revenue. Make sure you are always following the rules of Google and implement these steps to have an overall successful SEO endeavor!