Search engines are constantly updating their search algorithms to remove unnecessary elements (e.g. links) caused by unnatural practices of SEOs and to provide better results for their users.
Understanding how Google works, what they want to achieve and also learning from all patents could help you become a better marketer for your website or for your client’s website.
Improving your site’s search ranking potential is not an easy thing to do. You have to consistently seek more knowledge from high-quality search marketing blogs and apply those methodologies to your own website.
However, you don’t need to complicate things when you do testing for your website or client’s site. There are many basic methods you can practice immediately to get some good results for your brand.
In this post, I’d like to share simple, yet often forgotten techniques to improve a site’s search ranking potential.
Let’s get started.
Invest in a Good Domain and Hosting Provider
There are many domain and hosting provider companies available. So, it is important you are careful when you pick the right one for your business or website.
Here are a few things you should consider when looking for the right domain and hosting provider:
- Administrative controls. The provider must have a cPanel to help you manage your website’s functionality. This will help you fix or add codes when they are necessary (e.g. meta tag optimization).
- Technical support. The provider must have a technical support team you can contact to if you have any issues with your domain and hosting. The team should be responsive via email or phone to make things easy for you to fix these issues.
- Good reputation. The provider must have a good reputation in the industry. You can do thorough research on the brand’s name and look for credible reviews about their services. This will help assure you of the quality of their offerings.
There are a few new domain and hosting providers like Hostoople, that can provide quality services in terms of technical support and administrative controls.
Start Your Link Development Campaign
Links will always be an important factor for Google to determine a site’s relevancy and authority in the industry where it belongs.
In line with this, you need to start leveraging your link development campaign, whether you want to build links or attract links (link earning) pointing to your landing (or important) pages.
A Few Actionable Tips to Start Your Link Development Campaign:
- Identify resources that can help you achieve your link development goals (team members, marketing budget, tools, etc.). This can help you create a better campaign that fits your business’ resources.
- Learn from your competitors. It’s important to learn from a brand that already built white hat links in order for you to understand how linking in your space works (e.g. Are there a lot of PR opportunities that you can leverage for your business?).
- Choose the most affordable and high quality link building tools. Consider the price, utility, technical support and features of tools before proceeding to purchase anyone from them.
- Make sure your team knows the value of links and why it's important in marketing your website.
Publish Killer Content on Your Blog
Killer content is an asset that attracts your audience’s attention, allowing them to share your content to their peers and interact with your brand afterwards.
The question is, how can you create killer content for your website?
The answer will depend on the industry and your available resources. However, consider these tips:
- Invest in producing actionable guides about your chosen topics (not keywords). This post on Digital Philippines about content promotion strategies attracted 1,000+ social shares because of its value and actionable takeaways.
- Determine your audience’s pain points and needs to create content that will best resonate with your audience.
- Apply other niches’ content templates to your own blog to test if they can also attract engagement and attention from your target readers/visitors. Templates include glossary, ultimate guide and checklist.
- Use topic research tools like Buzzsumo to research popular pages or posts in your industry and get some inspiration from them.
- Research what type of content (content format) your influencers are willing to share or even link to from their own blogs (this will help you in the latter part of your campaign — content promotion).
- Provide opportunities for your visitors to send their feedback or content ideas, so you can easily consider their insights and create content assets for them.
Improving your site’s search ranking potential requires time, money and effort. But if you’ve invested in the right things (20 percent), you should get some good results (80 percent) out of it.