Research firm eMarketer forecasted the growth of e-commerce sites in the coming years. Their prediction? E-commerce sites will grow 16.4 percent year-over-year, and by 2017, a compound growth rate will rise up to 13.8 percent.
This type of research only shows there will be many brands that invest in the creation of e-commerce websites, or improve their online marketing campaigns for already existing B2C websites. As the hype for online investment rises, the increase in the need for content marketing agencies will also be higher. Many brands see content as an edge to win over their competitors.
Content marketing, if done right, can positively impact your site’s rankings, branding and sales every year.
In this post, I will show you how to set the appropriate foundation for your brand, and show you examples of content creation for e-commerce sites.
E-commerce Website Setup
- Choose a responsive theme for your e-commerce WordPress site; and
- Make sure people can easily access your pages from their own devices (mobile and desktop).
The more responsive your site is, the better your leads/sales will be. Check out this post to see some responsive themes for WordPress you can choose for your e-commerce site.
Now, let’s jump to the next part of the post.
Content for E-Commerce Websites
The search for new employees is already being performed by a human resource manager in the offline space. This action can be leveraged in online marketing to create some good content that people would want to share/link to from their own blogs or websites.
Instead of linking to a specific job/career website, why not list all available job positions on your brand page? This would make your Careers page a highly useful piece of content people can share with their friends and colleagues (especially if the brand is well-known in a particular industry or local area).
You can also link to your Career page from your profile pages and job sites to increase its page authority.
If you’ve been a long-time fan of giving away discounts and deals to your customers offline, then now is the time to make this activity possible in the online marketing space.
This type of content is easy to set up, especially if you’re using WordPress as your CMS platform. If designing an attractive page is beyond your skill-set, you can hire a graphic designer or web designer to do the work for you.
If you’re targeting an Australian audience, you can submit your deals and link to your Deals page from the following submission websites:
- http://www.goodsearch.com/ http://www.allthedeals.com.au/
If your brand is already popular in your niche or is getting some press mentions on media outlets offline, you can set up your own Press page.
Here are a few benefits of creating a Press page:
- By including your contact information, reporters and journalists can easily contact you for interviews.
- You can establish your authority and influence in your niche by listing past articles and interviews you've done. Secondly, you can add links from those prominent sites — think, Forbes and The Huffington Post, to name two.
Promoting your content
There are many ways to promote your e-commerce content assets. I highly suggest reading this e-commerce marketing guide by OSI Affiliate to learn some actionable tips for e-commerce promotion.
Other ways to promote your content:
- Reach out to category-specific resource pages. If there are no broken links identified in the page, then simply suggest your category page to the content manager or webmaster. If it is highly relevant to the resource page, the likelihood of earning the link is higher.
- Link to your content distribution efforts, such as regularly contributed articles, forum discussions and answering queries on blog communities.
- Set up HARO and Twitter PR or journalist requests to track contribution requests from online news writers and journalists. This is an easy link opportunity. You can provide tips/stories about your brand, which will be covered in your target journalist’s news or blog post.
What other ways do you suggest creating content for e-commerce sites? Let me know in the comments.