Creating a blog for your business can be a challenge. But if you follow the steps below, you can use keyword research to drive your content creation strategy and help take the guesswork out of editorial decisions.
Three Important Components: Industry, Design and Engagement
1. Industry: It will be harder to gain an audience if the topic is too broad or general. For instance, there are a lot of branches in technology, and dedicating a whole blog to a more general topic will not help you gain an audience. You must know your industry. Having said that, it should also be understood that the blog shouldn’t be so specific that there are not enough people searching for that topic. Have a unique angle for your blog (e.g. technology at work), and make sure the topic is one you and the team are passionate about. Another thing that plays a huge role in making up a blog is industry-specific keywords. It is the most important factor if you are looking to gain an industry- specific audience looking out for information with the help of certain terms.
2. Design: The first thing people will see when they enter your blog is the design and organization of the blog. It is an distinguishable feature of the blog. Along with content, even this feature plays a major role in gaining the audience’s engagement. The design of your blog will express enough about yourself and what the blog is meant for. Don’t be lazy by just going with the common themes available on various platforms. They are generic. The quality of the content, no matter how good it is, will never reflect that if the theme is not right.
3. Engagement: There are innumerable steps to make your blog popular, engaging and interactive. Not all things are required to be done at once. However, the main components of a successful blog should not be overlooked:
- Great content
- Easy navigation
- Fast loading pages
- User-Friendly design
- Easy and intuitive interaction
- Test and track the results
- Keyword-specific content
All of these components are important and essential to make progress.
Choosing the optimal keywords for search and for CTR
1. For search: It is vital to know your audience. When talking about search engines, the users’ preferences are known by the keywords they enter. What search gives is just the impression of what it sees. Here, it gives us the results for the words that users are putting in. Here is a how-to featuring SEMrush on developing the perfect keyword research strategy for the SERPs.
- Brainstorm: You sorted out the needs of your customers when you started your blog or business. Similarly, it is important to research key-phrases and know what your audience wants.
- Expand the keywords list: Once the brainstorming process is complete and you have a list of 5-10 crucial keywords, the next step is to expand this list of keywords by doing more research on the individual keywords. It is important to include long-tail keywords for getting the desired visibility on search engines.
- Select the keywords: Before you start this step, you already have an expanded list of search phrases. Now is the time to lay the foundation of your SEO campaign with selected keywords.
2. To enhance CTR (click-through-rates): CTR is definitely a popular term for PPC, but it has been accepted by many experts now as a ranking factor. So, how can you get a high CTR for your keywords? Keep the following criteria in mind:
- Character Limit: Insert the most important message with the keyword on the Page Title within the first 65 characters.
- Keyword Prominence: From the search engines’ perspective, it is a vital factor how close the keyword is on the title.
- Keyword Usage Limit: To gain good CTR’s do not use the keyword more than once on a page, as you will be using the keyword on Title and other significant places.
- Short Page Titles: Long page titles do not impact CTR, as Google does not consider the keywords that are towards the end of the title.
- Keyword in Meta Description and Body Content: Keywords in meta description tags and the body content is also significant to establish relevancy.
Now that you have the keywords in-hand and the strategy on how to search for them and implement them to maximize the CTR’s, here’s how the whole process should be carried out.
Using the targeted keywords
Now that you've done your homework, you're almost ready to start blogging. 1. Define the terms for which you want to rank: You already have selected the keywords. Now is the time to divide the keywords into lists of primary and secondary keywords.
- Make a list of primary and secondary keywords and place them on the basis of their importance.
- For instance, the major keywords should be inserted in the title and the body once.
- However, the secondary keywords could be entered in the body text and not necessarily in other elements of the web page.
2. Choose a timely blog topic: On the basis of the keywords, you could search which topics are currently trending and what kind of content is the audience actually looking for with the help of the targeted keywords. The best research tools are given below:
- Google Trends: This tool has been around for some years. Just enter the terms and you will get a report on what is in trend for the relevant term.
- Google+: Try checking out the What’s Hot section on Google+. The little known section shares popular posts, trending hashtags and people/pages on the basis of the terms.
- Google Blog: Just enter the keywords and you will find a list of blogs that are relevant to the keywords entered by you.
3. Use citation methodology: Long tail keywords sometimes don’t make complete sense. Thus, it is advisable to have the set of words from the long-tail cited in different places in the same paragraph.
- For instance, the keyword that you have targeted is "travel Copenhagen world tour."
- This keyword appears like this because the user has entered it in the similar manner in search engine.
- When targeting this keyword into your blog content, you could do it something like this: "When planning a world tour, you might be thinking of a number of places to visit. However, if you are looking to travel to a place that is purely artistic, do not forget to visit Copenhagen."
- Make sure that the keywords are not placed too far away so that it is not recognized by the search engines.
4. Analyze your competitor’s keyword strategy: Competitive keyword analysis plays an essential part in the organic search optimization strategy. It is important to understand who the competitors are and what they are targeting to promote their business.
- Identify your competitors using a tool like SEMrush. You already have the list of all the keywords in your hand.
- Type them in Google and you will get a list of all the content posted for those keywords.
- Go to the content and click on the anchor text that will lead you to the competitor’s site.
- Now, check out the backlinks of the competitors and pick out all those sites where they have posted articles for your targeted keywords.
- Start outreaching these sites with your content for the targeted keywords.
5. Promotion: You have just finished the first phase of guest blogging. Now comes the second part-promotion. Promotion of your post is as vital as all the other steps discussed here. After all, what good is a post if no one sees it?
- Social Media: Each social media platform is unique and provides various different techniques to promote your post.
- I. Twitter: Post your article on twitter and schedule several tweets on the same
- II. Google+: +1s and shares from Google+ are looked up with highest regard by the search engines.
- III. Facebook: It should be a habit to post the new article with a new graphic on Facebook.
- IV. Pinterest: Optimize an image that suits your content and make it viral on Pinterest
- Blogger Communities
- I. Social Buzz Club: You simply need to add your post and select the niche where you want it to get the readers. The particular community niche will help in getting more fans and followers for your post
- II. Triberr: This online platform gives a wider audience for the niche that you have written the post for. Find the relevant tribe and post your article on the same to get followers.
- I. Digg: Digg is a news aggregator and a social news website that makes curation simple, thus helping those who are finding articles related to what you have posted.
- II. Reddit: Reddit is quite a unique social bookmarking site with unique communities
- III. StumbleUpon: It is a discovery engine that allows the users to “stumble’ through the related content.
6. Prepare a calendar: The calendar that you prepare should contain the following
- Identify the schedule: How often will you be publishing new blog posts? Create a column for this
- Identify the category: There might be a number of categories in a particular niche. For instance, SEO has keyword targeting, link building, content marketing, and more. Identify the category for which you will be writing
- Identify the type: It could be a how-to-guide, infographic, video, or simply an article
- Identify the keywords: Note down which keywords are you going to target
- Identify the topic: Based on your research and the keywords, identify which topic are you going to write on and write down the title.
- Identify the distribution channel: Make sure to enter the ways in which you are going to promote by mentioning all the distribution channels in the calendar.
Closing thoughts: Your blogging strategy will evolve constantly. Use these tips to regularly revisit your strategy and you'll always be ready to pounce on a trend in your industry with a fresh take.