Keyword research is a critical component of PPC campaigns. Pay Per Click marketing can be successful only when selected keywords are most relevant, have considerable competitive opportunity and essential return on investment ability.
Keyword research tools are of great help for those who want to find right keywords for Pay Per Click campaigns. The first tool which comes to mind is of course Google AdWords, but its abilities are quite limited and it lacks many features which advanced keyword research programs offer.
SEMrush is a resourceful professional PPC software which allows its users to perform exhaustive PPC keyword research and competition study. Thanks to tools of this PPC management software you can create highly targeted PPC keywords lists and conduct in-depth analyses of your competitors’ PPC marketing.
So where to start?
First of all, let’s consider criteria which your ideal PPC keyword list should meet:
- keywords ability to generate profit – in PPC bid management keywords are required not only to be able to drive sales to your business but also provide profit worth the money you spent on advertising.
- keyword relevancy - a tricky thing about selecting the right keywords for PPC campaign is finding words which are important for your potential customers and highly relevant for your website. This means that keywords you decide on
,should be real word terms that Internet users frequently type when online and searching for the kinds of products or services you are advertising. On the other hand, the keywords should be closely related to the product or service you want to sell ,so that that visitors of your site can easily become your site buyers.
How to determine the most profitable keywords for the PPC campaign?
The rule of thumb in PPC management is simple: the most searched for terms have the highest cost – the less popular a keyword is the lower bid it gets. Your task here is to find a happy medium. The best PPC keywords for your business should be competitive enough to drive tangible sales, but at the same time they shouldn’t be too costly - they should leave space for profit and make running a PPC campaign reasonable.
To determine this, you can firstly go to the Overview section of the SEMrush. Enter your site URL in the search line at the top and study the data sections presented below.
Overview section -> Ads Traffic; - if you have some keywords ranked in the paid search results, you can see how many visitors are coming to your site through the ads.
Overview section -> Ads Traffic price; hare you can also see how much in total you’ve spent on these ads.
Organic keywords table -> this is where you will see the full list of keywords by which your site is currently ranked in the organic search results, and two other highly important metrics – number of search queries per month, and cost per click for a potential ad with this keyword.
Ads keywords table -> will give you the list of keywords for which you are buying ads at present, and finally in the Competitors in Ads table you will easily look up direct competitors who also place ads for similar keywords.
On importance of competition study
Exploration of PPC campaigns of your direct competitors is a vital step in PPC keyword research. To perform this kind of analysis we recommend using Advertising Research tools by SEMrush.
Choose from the list of your competitors of any - Pay Par Click company you are interested in and paste its domain URL into the search field. Then go to the Advertising Research section on the left-hand bar and select Positions.
Study the table you will be presented with, and it will help you gain insight on these very important points:
- list of search keywords for which the site buys the ads and their positions – you will be able to check this information in the Keyword and Pos columns respectively
- how many searches a definite keyword receives on the Web - Volume column contains this information
- up-to-date bids for keywords used in PPC campaign of your competitor – check CPC column for this kind of data
- current number of search results for keywords your competitor’s site is interested in – go to the Results column to obtain this information
- demonstration of the landing pages for each PPC ad – URL column displays list of such pages
- how the competitor’s ads actually look like in the wild - in the Ad column navigate the mouse pointer to any icon to instantly see the ad itself
- the volume of traffic driven to the competitor’s site by the ads - Traffic % column shows a number of site visitors who’ve clicked through certain ads compared to the total count of visitors attracted by site ads
Thanks to this information it will be much easier for you to determine the best word combinations for your advertising in the Google Pay Per Click services – you can simply select some keywords which meet the criteria of moderate price, sufficient number of monthly searches, and keyword relevancy for your own PPC campaign.
Additional points to keep in mind
It should be noted that though selecting the right keywords for Pay Per Click advertising is very crucial part of the business, follow up actions are really important as well. To be sure you make the most of PPC campaigns, closely monitor and analyze the results. PPC campaign has one advantage over SEO promotion – greater flexibility – you can always test the effectiveness of any of the keywords by ad performance. Advertising on Google doesn’t have an effect in the long run, so if you find out that a certain keyword doesn’t give a valuable return, quickly change it for another one and see whether it will yield better results or not.