The self-proclaimed "front page of the internet" drives headlines, traffic, and new ideas faster than any social network out there today. Savvy digital marketing agencies have turned to Reddit to promote content organically to reach those influential social news aggregators and pray that they don’t get downvoted.
If you have difficulty thinking of blog topics for content creation, need industry insights, or want to follow the latest trends in digital marketing, you should become familiar with Reddit.
General Overview of Reddit
Reddit is a link sharing and registered community member forum built to engage and create discussion. Reddit is a wonderland of constant content from all parts of the globe - although Reddit is not a place to purely link drop your latest content! Instead, it would be a better use of your time to first and participate with the comments and voting system to build a reputation before sharing your own posts.
The main types of content on Reddit are “posts”, which can only be submitted by users with a Reddit account, and there is a comments section where other users can discuss the post. Posts are voted “up” and “down” by redditors. Posts that receive more “upvotes” rise to the top of the page and become more visible to other users.
The up/down voting feature is what defines Reddit and sets it apart from other forums. This voting system supplies a social proof to readers – it tells them if the content is worth their time to read, provides new information, or is the first place to break the hottest news. Digital marketing agencies can use this voting system to judge if the content is worth sharing.
Why is Reddit Called the Front Page of the Internet?
Reddit is insanely popular. Reddit’s statistics prove it:
- Reddit is ranked 9th in the United States and 34th in the World
- Reddit reports almost 202 million unique visitors a month, 7.86 billion page views per month
- The average redditor spends 85 minutes on the site
- Reddit’s share of all content shared in the United States is 2%
- Reddit’s page views in 2014 was 71.25 billion
- Roughly 6% of U.S. adults visit Reddit
- 15% of men ages 18-29 use Reddit
Reddit Makes a Move on Curated Content
The power of Reddit’s quality curated content is only growing larger – Reddit launched UpVoted over 6 weeks ago “to create launch a hub to give the stories of Reddit—from the seemingly ordinary to the extraordinary—the creative space to expand, breathe, and grow.”
Basically, Upvoted is a place for Reddit content to be attributed to the original redditors in a friendly article format. This is important because the Reddit community is sourced for the opinions quoted in insightful articles on the internet. However, Upvoted is only for curation of top articles as any comments and voting still take place on Reddit.
The Easiest Way to Find Your Subreddits
If you are looking for the best topics for content or news, you must narrow your search to a specific niche or hours will be wasted scrolling through every post on Reddit's main page.
It would be in your best interest to dive into subreddits on Reddit to find the best content for your audience. From SEO tips, digital marketing tactics, and trending social media questions to trivia about the latest blockbuster movie out there to internet memes, Reddit has a subforum for every imaginable topic. However, it can be difficult to find specific subreddits relating to your needs.
The easiest way to search for subreddits is to search, then follow the related subreddit links. You can also use this tool to find the most popular subreddits and then follow the sidebar links to related to more specific subreddits.
Finding subreddits in your industry will help your agency come up with content topics and ideas that tend to do well by using the available filter system. Filter subreddits by “Top” and then by time period (all-time, monthly, this week, etc). By default, the front page of a subreddit is determined by how “hot” a post is, so you’ll see a good bit of new and popular right now posts.
Top Subreddits for Digital Marketers
For any digital marketing agency looking for more information on digital marketing, data curation, or seeking opinions on industry trends, here’s a list you should subscribe to if you’re not already.
General Business Subreddits
- https://www.reddit.com/r/business/ From tips for running a business, to pitfalls to avoid, /r/business teaches you the smart moves.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/ A forum of entrepreneurs working towards unbiased and anonymous feedback, advice, ideas, and discussion.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/ Questions and answers about starting, owning, and growing a small business
- https://www.reddit.com/r/entrepreneur Anything relevant to Entrepreneurship is welcome
- https://www.reddit.com/r/growmybusiness A place for brainstorming business-growth ideas.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/DigitalNomad Digital Nomads are individuals that leverage technology in order to work remotely and live an independent and nomadic lifestyle.
General Marketing Subreddits
- https://www.reddit.com/r/marketing/ For interesting marketing discussions.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/AskMarketing/ A spin-off of/r/Marketing and a place for you to ask real marketing questions to real marketing professionals.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/webmarketing Hosts discussions and links to articles about web marketing, including email marketing, online PR, social media, SEO and so forth.
Digital Marketing Subreddits
- https://www.reddit.com/r/advertising/ Ground Zero for ad creators, students, copywriters, affiliates, and anyone else who is finely honing their reverse banner blindness
- https://www.reddit.com/r/socialmedia For professionals who are actively engaged in social media and community-oriented websites around the world.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/socialmediaresearch Post links to research articles focusing on social media, blog posts, or videos talking about it, or even suggest ideas that would be interesting research to do.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/affiliatemarketing A space to talk about what works, what doesn't, and what's new in the world of affiliate marketing. Topics include PPC, SEO, CPA offers, traffic generation, affiliate programs, affiliate networks, and everything related to AM.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/Emailmarketing/ Learn about the latest email techniques, news, and trends to make your campaigns the best they can be.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/ A subreddit for SEO news, case studies, and speculation.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/PPC/ A subreddit dedicated to discuss news and information about the pay-per-click industry.
Content Marketing Subreddits
- https://www.reddit.com/r/content Dedicated to the four pillars of content: Strategy, Creation, Curation, and Marketing.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/contentstrategist We're all about brands, storytelling, & the future of content on the web.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/blogging A community for bloggers. This sub is aimed towards helping bloggers obtain constructive critique, feedback and advice.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/copywriting/ A Place For Great Tips/Tricks/Advice all about copywriting.
Data Science and Analytics
- https://www.reddit.com/r/datascience A place to discuss data, data science, becoming a data scientist, data munging, and more!
- https://www.reddit.com/r/bigdata For all bigdata gurus everywhere to discuss the latest trends, topics, career opportunities and tricks of the trade.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/analytics/ A subreddit dedicated to web analytics and the latest data reports.
- https://www.reddit.com/r/DataIsBeautiful A place for visual representations of data: Graphs, charts, maps, etc.
Edit: Suggestions from Comments
- https://www.reddit.com/r/bigseo A community for professional Agency, In-House, and self-employed SEOs looking to discuss strategy, share ideas, case-studies, and learn.
For any digital marketing agency looking to stay on top of news, events, and information around almost any topic imaginable, Reddit is the place to be! However, be warned that Reddit needs time dedicated to it so if your agency can't spare the effort, don't invest time in the platform.
Like all online communities, there’s a certain degree of “reddiquette” to follow.Do it right, and you’ll see targeted traffic brought to you by the content you shared, the conversations you engaged in, or straight from your profile itself (if you're an active member!)
If I missed any great marketing subreddits that you feel I should have listed, please share them!