Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and millions of couples are looking forward to spending the day together. But lovebirds aren’t the only ones who are waiting for this holiday. Online retailers also plan for this time of year, preparing some awesome marketing campaigns and using specific keywords in their ads.
We decided to find out which specific keyword trends are most often noticed during the pre-holiday period. First, we gathered 2,000 commercial long tail keywords that contain different derivatives of the phrase “Valentine’s Day.”
By “commercial” we mean those key phrases comprised of the following words: gift, present, offer, buy, sale, cheap, discount, deal, coupon and best. Then we checked the volume, CPC and other metrics of those keyword phrases using SEMrush data. This allowed us to form the following lists.
- Top advertisers of 2015: a list of domains that appeared on the first page of Google paid search results for several commercial keywords in February of 2015.
- SEO winners of 2015: a list of domains that appeared on the first page of Google organic search results for several commercial keywords in February of 2015.
- SEO winners of 2016: a list of domains that appeared on the first page of Google organic search results for commercial keywords in February of 2016.
- Most expensive keywords of 2015: a list of keywords with the highest cost-per-click in February of 2015.
- Most popular keywords of 2015: a list of keywords with the highest cost-per-click in February of 2015.
- Most profitable keywords of 2015: a list of keywords with the highest SEO potential in February of 2015, which is calculated by multiplying the search volumes of those individual keywords by their cost-per-click.
- Trend of 2014 and 2015: a cumulative volume of commercial keywords in respective years – 2014 and 2015. As you can see, web searches have shown great interest in these keywords in January and February, which seems quite logical.
how much interest web searchers have shown in a given keyword in the last 12 months.
The following infographic shows the most expensive and popular keywords that are associated with Valentine’s Day for the respective year. Check it out and discover some interesting trends! It’s always worth analyzing your competitors’ ad keywords with SEMrush so you can strengthen your marketing campaign in the future!
According to the most popular keywords, women bring more active attention to Valentine's Day gifts than man. The real question would be who are they shopping for – themselves or for their significant other? This can be the key to marketing to the right audience for your brand.
It would be great if you would share your own research and any interesting trends you notice for this special occasion!
And don't forget to join our team on Monday, Feb. 15 at 2 PM EST on Blab for a discussion about Valentine's Day and seasonal marketing.