An Intro to Keywords!
Having successful SEO of your website means that you have found the right balance of keywords that attracts prospective customers, but what is a keyword? In this article, we are going to define keywords for what they are and how they are used by an SEO.
What are Keywords?
If you are looking for a simple description as suggested above, then a keyword is a word that serves as a code. It is a word that is used as a reference point for finding other words of its kind or any information regarding those words.
Why Choose a Keyword?
Another important question after what are keywords? is: why choose a keyword? Web pages contain information that people are looking for, so while writing a page, one has to think of the search terms that people will use to find their web page in the search engine. Defining a keyword narrows the search results down, making it easier for people who are interested in certain information to find it without going to the wrong web pages.
Finding the right keywords for your web page could sometimes be tricky, so here are some points you should be mindful of when integrating keywords in your web page.
Word Count in a Keyword:
While looking for keywords in a keyword generator, the search volume and the competitiveness of the defined keyword is more important than the number of words being used. If you have maximized the long tail keywords and the searches and competition of some words are not flattering, then it wouldn’t be effective and you would refer to those as low competition keywords.
Search Volume of a Keyword:
In targeting a keyword in a keyword generator, the search volume is very important. Investing into a keyword with a tremendous keyword search volume will definitely attract more visitors for your website. You can only define keywords like that by using keyword tracking tools.
Competitiveness of a Keyword:
No matter how good and impressive the search volume of a keyword is in a keyword generator, after defining a keyword, you should be mindful of the competition. Using a keyword competition tool can make sure you are targeting a keyword with very high competition.
Price of a Keyword:
Make sure that the cost per click or CPC of your defined keyword is high before you do your keyword bidding. If you are onto Adsense generating sites, you can also use tools such as SpyFu, which is used to provide an instant keyword scale in terms of CPC. While defining a keyword, make sure that your keyword is a money making one even if it’s a low competition keyword.
Comparative: In keyword selection, make sure that each defined keyword is coherent to one another. It is very important to establish content relevancy in terms of optimization.
Choose Your Target Keywords
Choose the right words for your search by concentrating on keywords that are right for your site. After you have defined the keyword, if you cannot offer conversion for the keywords you are targeting, it will not make sense targeting them.
- After defining a keyword, target hot words only for brand awareness.
- Do not use words with multiple meanings.
- Do not choose words that are too cold.
- Always target longer phrases, which have two to three words.
- Gather your keyword candidate list.
- Ask people around you how they would search for your web site in order for you to define keywords.
- Focus primarily on the nouns.
- Add adjectives after the nouns.
- List several different categories of adjectives like a comparison, qualifier, function, attributes and action.
- While defining a keyword, ask yourself what your customers need? What problem are they trying to resolve? What words do they use to explain their problems?
- What content/webpage do you have on your site that would satisfy someone’s search? What words would you search for to find that content?
- How would you describe your product to a novice?
- Check your current search referrals.
- When defining keywords, don’t target existing customers for search.
- In order to properly define keywords, research each keyword candidate.
Ask the Following Questions:
Hopefully, this article has answered at least some of your questions about what are keywords and provided some tips on how to define a keyword while conducting a keyword search.