The Market Explorer Overview report provides a bird’s eye view of the market activity within a certain space.
You can use the Overview report to learn:
- Who is your biggest organic competition within your industry
- Overall traffic trends in your space, and who has the largest share of traffic
- How your growth and traffic generation compares to the market as a whole
- Where your audience is around the world, and how they’re finding you or your competitors
Using the Overview Report
If you’re a .Trends user, you will have a few different options when viewing the Market Overview report. First, you can toggle between your industry competitors report [for your selected domain] and your saved Market Lists:
You can also change which country’s database you’re looking at, or view historical data by selecting a different time period:
The header also provides a few important metrics, which help provide context for the rest of the report:
- Market Share: Your selected domain’s share of traffic compared to that of the whole market during the specified time period
- Market Traffic: The total amount of traffic to all domains within a market during a specified time period
- Market Traffic Cost: The sum of the estimated costs of all market domains to rank for organic keywords over a selected month
The next section within the Overview Report is a chart called Growth Quadrants. This chart paints a picture of the overall competitive landscape within your market, by showing you where each of the top 10 players stand over a given period.
If you are a .Trends user, you have the option to customize your view in a few different ways:
- By toggling between Top 10 and Top 20 domains
- By choosing to view data over 6 months (6M), one year (1Y), quarter over quarter (QoQ), or year over year (YoY)
You can deselect any domains that you don’t want to include in the chart by clicking on the domains’ checkbox to the right of the graph.
As you can see, the domains are divided into four quadrants:
- Niche Players: Sites with a smaller market share, compared to the others, and who are growing relatively slowly. These could be new competitors still getting started, or domains that have lost some momentum.
- Game Changers: Domains that still have relatively low traffic volume, but a sharp growth rate, higher than average for the market. In other words, these domains are growing quickly, and you might want to keep an eye on them.
- Leaders: Domains that not only have high traffic volume, but also continue to grow at a sharp rate compared to the market average.
- Established Players: The inverse of Game Changers, Established Players have high traffic volume, but a relatively low growth rate. Generally, these domains would have high name recognition, having been in the industry for a long time.
It’s important to note that each domain is sorted relative to the other ones on the report. In other words, if you adjust the list of domains or the time period you’re looking at, you might find that the domains are sorted differently. Domains might also shift over time. For example, if you compare reports from different periods, a Game Changer might grow enough to become a Leader, or might lose momentum and slip back into being a Niche Player.
Top Market Keywords
The Top Market Keywords widget lists the top keywords bringing traffic to domains in the analyzed market. It’s displayed in the form of a word cloud, meaning that keywords appear larger if they generate more traffic and search volume. To view specific search volume and traffic metrics for a certain keyword, place your cursor over it and a window will appear.
To the right of the Top Market Keywords cloud, you will find a Keyword Traffic chart. This chart displays the share of organic traffic generated by the selected keyword for domains within the analyzed market. Click on any keyword from the Top Market Keywords cloud in order to select it.
Click the “Export” button to download your Top Market Keywords as a PNG or CSV file.
Domain vs Market Dynamics
The Domain vs. Market Dynamics section of the Overview Report analyzes the performance of one domain relative to the market as a whole. The chart will automatically show data on any domain selected in the Share of Visits widget directly to the left of the chart. This chart is useful not just for benchmarking yourself against competitors, but also against the trends across the entire market.
Share of Visits
The Share of Visits section tells you what percent of visits across the market belong to each domain during the analyzed period. You can view this in total, or you can narrow the data by choosing Direct, Referral, Search, Social and Paid traffic.
If you’d like to use this data elsewhere, such as in a report or presentation, you can export this data into a CSV file.
Total Traffic Trends
The Total Traffic Trends graph benchmarks your domain’s traffic trends over time against that of the entire market during the same period.
When reading this graph, the domain traffic (indicated in the image above in yellow) is measured according to the left axis. The overall market traffic (in purple) is measured according to the axis on the right. This enables you to more easily compare your domain’s traffic changes over time to the trends of the whole market during that period, despite the differences in volume.
.Trends users may view this data over 6 months, one year, or all-time. Click “Export to CSV” to download this data and use it elsewhere.
Domain vs Market: Growth by Sources
The Growth by Sources chart helps you to visualize your domain’s growth across different traffic channels, compared to the total market trends. This can be helpful in analyzing your overall strategy seeing which channels are working and which need more help and in distributing your marketing budget more effectively.
Each traffic channel has its own axis. The more growth can be attributed to that channel, the closer that point will be to the edge of the chart. Traffic channels include:
- Direct Traffic
- Paid Traffic
- Referral Traffic
- Social Media
- Organic Search
On this chart, each channel is measured according to its share of growth. As with other charts in the Overview report, you can view this data over 6 months, one year, or all-time.
Traffic Generation Strategy
Traffic Generation Strategy is a bar graph that breaks down the percent of traffic generated by each channel, compared to the total market.
To see a numerical breakdown, all you have to do is hover your cursor over the line you’re interested in, as follows:
Domain vs Market: Audience
Domain vs. Market: Audience breaks down some basic information about the market audience demographics. Here, you can learn the proportion of male to female audience members, as well as how many of them fall into each age bracket.
If you are a .Trends user, more detailed information about audience demographics can be found in the Demographics report on the next tab.
Market GEO Distribution
The Market Geo Distribution section shows you the top five countries where your audience is around the world. You can view this data by:
- Top Countries: The countries that account for the most visitors
- Top Changes: The countries with the largest changes in traffic compared to the previous month
Market Geo Distribution can be downloaded either as a CSV file or a PNG file. Simply click “Export” and choose your preferred file type.
The final section of the Overview report is Market Traffic. This chart illustrates the total traffic over time across all the analyzed websites in the selected market, broken out by channel.
Here, you can estimate their overall market size (based on the amount of traffic generated), see how the market has changed over time, and determine which channels were most effective in driving growth. This can provide important context when analyzing your overall growth, and when deciding which traffic channels you need to develop.
.Trends users have the option to view traffic data over a 6 month period, one year, or all-time. You can also deselect a channel if you do not want to view it on the chart.
You can download this chart in PNG or CSV formats. Just click “Export” and select your preferred file type to download.