Domain Overview is a report that breaks down a domain into four categories: Organic Search, Paid Search, Backlinks, and Display Advertising.
1. Organic Search: This blue number shows the amount of estimated traffic the domain receives, per month, from organic search. Click on the number to open a more detailed Organic Positions report.
2. Paid Search: This blue number shows the amount of estimated traffic the domain receives per month from PPC ads. Click on the number to open a more detailed Advertising Positions report.
3. Backlinks: This blue number shows the total amount of backlinks SEMrush found going to the domain. Click on the number to open up more detailed Backlinks reports.
4. Display Advertising: This blue number shows the number of display ads that the domain has run through Google AdSense. Click on the number to open up deeper Display Advertising reports where you can see more details about their advertising behavior.
1. Organic Search
The first part of the Domain Overview covers everything about a domain’s organic traffic. This ranges from top organic keywords to competitors and branded search traffic.
- Organic keywords by country (database) circle chart - This chart shows the distribution of a domain’s organic keywords by the database. This allows you to see where around the world the domain receives most of its keyword rankings.
- Ads keywords circle chart - This chart shows the distribution of a domain’s paid keywords by the database. Similar to organic chart, it tells you how the domain spreads its budget for PPC ads across different countries.
- Organic and paid traffic graph - This graph shows the domain’s organic and paid keyword trends over time. Change the date range at the top to adjust the scope. When you hover your mouse over a Google icon, you can see any updates to Google’s algorithm that occurred.
- Top organic keywords - This lists the domain’s top five organic keywords in order of their traffic percentage. You can also see the keyword position, volume, and CPC.
- Organic position distribution - This graph shows the distribution of the domain’s organic rankings. You can see how many keywords the domain has rankings for in the top 3 positions, 4-10, 11-20, and so on.
- Main organic competitors - These competitors are ranked by how similar their keyword portfolios are. The number of common keywords and total SE (search engine) keywords are listed in the table. Click “view full report” to open the Organic Competitors report and get the full list of the domain’s organic search competitors.
- Competitive positioning map (organic) - The map illustrates the spread of a domain’s competitors based on the number of organic keywords and search traffic.
- Branded search vs non-branded search traffic - Branded search traffic is organic traffic coming from keywords that include your brand name. For example, SEMrush counts traffic to Amazon.com from keywords like “amazon prime,” “Amazon books, and “amazon smile” as branded search traffic. This tells you how much of a website’s organic traffic comes from branded vs non-branded search.
- Branded traffic trend - The Branded Traffic Trend graph shows the trend of the domain’s branded search traffic. If one month of the year has a higher density of branded search, it will be shown here.
2. Paid Search
The second section of the Domain Overview has previews of all the reports related to paid search.
- Top paid keywords - The domain’s top five paid keywords will be shown here, ranked in order of their traffic percentage. Traffic percentage represents the number of people that visit the website from clicking on an ad after searching that keyword. Click on “View full report” to open an Advertising Positions report. This report can show you all of the top keywords your competitor bids on to bring traffic to their website.
- Paid position distribution - This chart shows the distribution of the domain’s positions for paid keywords. The more positions a domain has in the top 3, the more optimized their PPC efforts are.
- Main paid competitors - Show’s a domain’s top five paid search competitors. This list is based on the number of keywords for each domain, as well as the number of common paid keywords between both competitors.
Click on a number in the Common Keywords column to see the full list in a Domain vs Domain report. Click on a number in the Ads Keywords Column to open an Advertising Positions report for that competitor. Or, click on “View full report” to open an Advertising Competitors report for your queried domain.
- Competitive positioning map (paid) - This illustrates the spread of a domain’s competitors based on the number of paid keywords and search traffic. The larger the circle, the more visibility a domain has across paid keywords.
- Sample PPC ads - This section shows samples of the domain’s PPC ads as they appeared in the results. Click on any ad to go to the landing page. You can also click on “View full report” to open an Ad Copies report. There you can see all of the ads that SEMrush found the domain bidding on during the last month.
The third part of the Domain Overview provides data on aspects of the domain’s backlink profile. This includes the total number of backlinks, ratio between follow and nofollow links, and top referring domains.
- Top Backlinks - The first module in this section shows a preview of the domain’s backlinks. Click “View full report” to open up the entire list in the Backlinks report. Here you can evaluate the domain’s backlinks by metrics like trust score and page score.
- Top anchors - The top five most common anchor texts in the domain’s backlinks will be listed here. This tells you how other websites refer to the domain when they link to it. It also shows you how many referring domains use each anchor, and how many backlinks use each anchor. Click “View full report” to open up the complete list of anchor texts.
- Follow vs. nofollow circle chart - This chart visually shows you the ratio of follow vs nofollow links. A “nofollow” link has a special HTML attribute that instructs search engine bots not to influence the target website’s ranking. Meanwhile, a quality link with a “follow” attribute can benefit a target website’s ranking.
- Backlinks type circle chart - This chart identifies how many links in the site’s backlink profile are text, frame, form, and image links.
- Top referring domains - he top referring domains will be listed here in order of how many backlinks they’re sending to the searched domain. Click on any of these domains to go to that domain’s Domain Overview. You can also click “View full report” to see the complete list of domains sending backlinks to your queried domain.
- Top indexed pages (by the number of backlinks) - The pages on the domain that have the most backlinks are listed here.
4. Display Advertising
Next in the Domain Overview is Display Advertising data. This data will tell you everything about your competitor's use of online display ads.
Publishers and Advertisers
Websites in Display Advertising reports are categorized in two ways: Publishers and Advertisers.
Publishers are websites that use Google AdSense to allow advertisers to run display ads on their site. Publishers receive money from Advertisers in return for the space on the site and traffic acquired from the ads.
Advertisers are websites placing ads on other sites in an effort to bring traffic to their website. Advertisers pay Publishers for the space to advertise on their site.
If a domain publishes more than it advertises, Domain Overview will present data about the website’s publishing behavior. The latest advertisers and samples of those ads will be shown.
If a domain advertises on external sites more than it publishes ads, Domain Overview will present data about the website’s advertising behavior. The latest publishers and samples of their ads will be shown.
- Latest Publishers (shown if the domain is more of an advertiser) - A list of publishers and the number of total ads are shown here. You can also see if they are publishing text or image ads. These can be clicked through to open a full report in the Display Advertising section.
- Top display ad landing pages - The most common landing pages tied to the domain’s display ads are listed here. They will be shown in order of most times seen by SEMrush. Click “View full report” to open up a full report in the Display Advertising section.
- Sample display text ads - Sites that run ads on Google’s Display network have the ability to run both text or image ads. The content of this section will depend on if the domain is more of a publisher or advertiser.
- Sample display image ads - This section shows samples of any image ads that SEMrush found associated with the domain
Click on one of the ads or the “View full report” button to open up a full report in the Display Advertising section.