SEMrush Projects allow you to set up 12 different tools analyzing all aspects of a business's online visibility. As you complete your work, you can also track progress with email reports and graphs in each Project tool.
While Domain Analytics and Keyword Analytics let you use the searchbar to conduct research in our databases, Projects let you gather marketing data from outside of the SEMrush database by setting up tools.
Project sharing is also available to make collaboration between teams and agencies easy.
Creating a New Project
Creating a New Project
Go to SEMrush → Projects or locate the Projects button next to the SEMrush search bar. Enter a domain name to base the Project on, a Project name and hit "Create." We recommend that you enter your root domain, and not the www-version of your site in this step (for example, ebay.com instead of www.ebay.com) so that we will be able to crawl your entire site and not just a www subdomain.
Once you create a Project, you will be able to set up each tool one by one. Each Project tool has its own configuration steps and parameters when setting up.
Please note that there are two dashboards related to your account's Projects:
- Your "My Projects" dashboard - with all of the Projects under your account.
- A dashboard for each Project- with all of the tools set up in that Project.
Tags and Table Settings
You can organize and filter your projects with the help of tags. For example if you are running several projects for the same customer you just tag them with their company name and the name of the target department. Hit the “Add tag” button and type your tag in the input form.
You can add mark one project with up to 3 tags. This will allow you to arrange them by various parameters (e.g. price, deadline, etc.). To have specific projects displayed enter the tags into the search bar at the top menu.
If you are interested in just one project you can also use the search bar in the upper right corner of the screen.
Another way to arrange your projects is the “Table Settings” menu. It allows you to check and uncheck the boxes with the names of tools that have been set up and the parameters you are monitoring and filter your projects list accordingly.
My Projects Dashboard
From the My Projects dashboard you will be able to see all of the Projects under your account.
Here you have a number of controls to customize your screen:
Switch between viewing all Projects (including those shared with your account), just the Projects you’ve created, Projects shared with you, or Projects where you are the "Admin,"(if you are an Admin and have additional users on your account, you will see all of their Projects here).
"Favorite” a Project so that it always appears at the top of the list.
Manage columns to remove preview widgets for the Project tools that you don’t use.
Sort by a preview widget’s metric (Site health, for example) to look at your highest and lowest performing Projects.
The Manage Columns button lets you customize the dash to show only the tools most relevant to you and your business.
- Site Health (Site Audit) - Total Score of your most recent audit
- Visibility (Position Tracking) - visibility % of your main domain for the target keywords in your campaign
- Ideas to do (On Page SEO Checker) - number of ideas generated by SEMrush to improve your landing pages
- Audience (Social Media Tracker) - how many followers your main page has. By default it will show Facebook but if you do not connect Facebook it will say the network that it is representing
- Scheduled Posts (Social Media Poster) - how many posts are scheduled in your queue
- Mentions (Brand Monitoring) - how many times SEMrush found the keyword you are tracking across the Internet.
- Toxic Domains (Backlink Audit) - how many domains are linking to your Project domain and are considered to be toxic by SEMrush’s toxic backlink signals
- Link Building Prospects (Link Building Tool) - how many domains SEMrush has found that could be targets of a link building campaign for your site.
- PPC Campaigns/Keywords (PPC Keyword Tool) - how many PPC campaigns are being planned in your Project and how many new keywords have been added recently
- Ads (Ad Builder) - how many PPC ads have been written in your campaigns in Ad Builder
- Organic Sessions (Organic Traffic Insights) - How many organic sessions your website has gathered over the past week according to Google Analytics
- Social Shares (Content Analyzer) - How many shares on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn the content that you are auditing in Content Audit has gathered
Individual Project Dashboard
Here’s how the dashboard of a brand new Project will look:Once your tools are running, the Project's dashboard will display previews of each tool's main metrics.
Please note: Individual Project tool campaigns cannot be deleted once they've been created without deleting the entire Project. If you delete a Project, you will delete all campaigns set up.
Keep in mind that you don’t need to set up every Project tool. You can create a Projects to just run a single tool, like Site Audit or Position Tracking. Once a Project is created, you can return to it in the Project dashboard and set up a new tool at any given time.
You may see a discrepancy between the numbers shown in the preview metric on the Project dashboard and in the Project tool’s interface. This is because the widgets in the dashboard do not reflect any filters that are applied within a tool, while the metrics in a tool (such as visibility % in Position Tracking or Organic Sessions in Organic Traffic Insights) are influenced by filters applied within the tool.
To quickly check your project limits, hit the “Limits” button and you’ll see how many limits you have remaining.
The number of Projects that you are allowed to have at once depends solely on the type of subscription you have with SEMrush.
- Free subscriptions can manage 1 Project
- Pro subscriptions can manage 5 Projects
- Guru subscriptions can manage 50 Projects
- Business subscriptions can manage 200 Projects
Each subscription level also has varying limits for using the functions within each Project tool (such as the number of pages that can be crawled in a Site Audit).
To add limits to your account, go to your subscription info page in the profile menu and request the limits you want. One of our Account Executives will get back to you shortly with more information.
Rename, Share and Delete a Project
To delete a Project, share a Project, or change the name of a Project, use the settings gear button to the right of the Project name in your dashboard. If a Project has been shared with you, you can “leave” the Project from here as well.
DELETING PROJECTS: When you delete a project, you are deleting all of the tools set up in the Project. For example, if you want to delete a Site Audit campaign, you will also be deleting the Position Tracking campaign, Social Media Tracker, Backlinks Audit, etc of that are in the same project. Projects cannot be recovered once deleted so please be careful when deleting a project.
Select Edit name to update the name of your Project.
Sharing allows you to provide edit access or read-only access to your Projects with another SEMrush user. This makes it easy to create transparency within your team or client relationship.
To share multiple Projects with another user, select the Share your Projects button next to Limits. Then, select the Projects that you want to share and enter the email addresses of the SEMrush users that you’d like to share your Project with. They will receive an email asking them to confirm the shared Project and then will be granted access.
It’s important to note that sharing with edit access is available to all paid users but read-only is only available to business and enterprise level accounts.
Configuring Project Tools
Configuring each project tool usually takes a few minutes to set up desired parameters and settings. For a step-by-step walkthrough on how to configure each tool, read the configuring chapters of the user manuals below. Or, find each tool's category in the menu to the left for more information.
- Configuring Site Audit
- Configuring Position Tracking
- Configuring On Page SEO Checker
- Configuring Backlink Audit
- Configuring Social Media Tracker
- Configuring Organic Traffic Insights
- Configuring Brand Monitoring
- Configuring PPC Keyword Tool
- Configuring Link Building Tool
- Creating Ads With Ad Builder
- Configuring Content Audit (Content Analyzer)