Market Explorer’s Custom Market report gives you all of the functionality of the Growth Quadrant but goes one step further by allowing you to set the list of domains you’re comparing.
The Growth Quadrant feature in this tool reveals top industry players in the competitive landscape and divides them into four segments: Niche Players, Game Changers, Leaders, and Established Players.
With the Custom Market report, you can figure out the same four categories for a custom list of companies of your choice.
Under "the market" here we mean the market that consists of the custom list of the companies. Therefore all metrics of the market depend on what companies you've included in the market. This can include companies across many different categories but they will still be considered under the same market when added to your custom market lists.
With Custom Market you are able to:
- Research when launching a new product or entering new territories.
- Analyze your market position and identify growth areas.
- Be aware of dangerous competitors quickly gaining momentum.
- Identify successful competitor practices.
- Save your list of custom markets (up to 20 companies)*
*Users with CI-Add on only*
Highlights of this report include:
- A Market Audience widget that sheds light on the target market’s demographics
- GEO Distribution of your custom market
- A Custom Market Dynamics feature allowing you to get even more specific comparisons
- Market Traffic vs Selected Domains Trends allowing to compare each website’s progress to the total market trend
- Widgets to compare each domain’s Traffic Generation and Social Media Distribution Strategy closely
- A Share of Visits by Channel table to see which of your rivals leads in a particular digital marketing channel.
- Analyze the custom market for the year over year or quarter over quarter growth
How does Custom Market work?
Enter your list of domains on the Custom Market page by clicking the create new list button. You can save this list of domains for future reference when you click the green save button. If you have lists saved you will see all of them just below the create a new list button. Keep in mind this feature is only limited to users with the CI-Add on.
To access your custom market, click on the dropdown menu next to the domain. Here you will be able to switch between industry competitors, organic competitors, and your custom markets.
What can you discover using the Custom Market report?
1. Competitive Landscape
With Semrush Custom Market’ Growth Quadrant, you not only get the competitive landscape for top industry players, but you also get answers to your questions regarding a custom list of competitors:
- Who actively grows and becomes a Leader or a Game Changer.
- What small companies or new competitors are considered the Niche Players
- Who is the Established Player in the market, i.e. has long been in the market, has a huge amount of total traffic that is growing slowly?
If your product or brand is already present in the market, then you can include it in the list of analyzed domains. This will allow you to compare your growth and your tactics with your competitors, find out gaps, strengths, and weaknesses, and optimize your marketing and business development strategy.
We recommend you return to the report at least once a month in order to see the important changes over time.
2. Market Audience
To analyze the market audience, look at the Market Audience widget. It shows the ratio of men and women of different ages that visited the entered websites. You can also analyze the audience's age and their interests.
Using this data, you can target your marketing strategy to the right age groups with specific interests. Remember to analyze user interests in the Overview tab in the Market Explorer too (In-Market Audience Interests widget).
Along with the market audience breakdown, you can also see the global GEO Distribution of your custom market. This tells you the percentage breakdown of the top countries that contribute traffic to these sites. Next to the country percentage, you can see the total traffic gain from that country for the entire custom market, as well as the percentage of change in the analyzed month (green for positive, red for negative).
If you want to see the Growth Quadrant & Custom Market Dynamics for a specific country, you can change the region at the top of the report and these widgets will update with region-specific data.
However, please note that the Market Audience and GEO Distribution always represent the custom market’s global audience.
3. Gaps and Opportunities
In the Custom Market Dynamics section of the report, you can analyze the marketing strategies of the market players. This will help you benefit from the successful tactics of the market’s Leaders and quickly learn from the rapid growth of the market’s Game Changers.
Domain vs Market Dynamics
- Select up to 5 domains at the same time (you can later change them).
- The widget will present its Total, Direct, Referral, Search, Social, and Paid traffic trends.
- Find insights about your competitors' strategies
- Сompare the companies’ trends with the Market Traffic trend.
For example, you can pay attention to cases such as:
- The entire market goes down in total or any specific source of traffic, while one of the companies is growing. You should definitely do a deep analysis of that company’s current strategy.
- There are companies that increase sharply during a seasonal change. Do they launch specific marketing campaigns or what is their secret? Identify these companies and then figure out exactly what they do using Traffic Analytics, Organic Research, Advertising Research, Display Advertising and Social Media Tracker.
Traffic Generation Strategy
The widget represents a breakdown of traffic by acquisition channels.
- Take a look at the Market line — with its help, you can determine through which channels all the analyzed companies attract traffic on average.
- Compare the traffic mix between companies and analyze the gaps.
- Think about the perspective to build on these gaps.
Take a look at the referral traffic of usbank.com. The amount of referral traffic that the website receives is 2 times lower than the average market value.
You can go even deeper and analyze which of the competitors is best in getting referral traffic, and then dive into the Traffic Analytics tool to understand who are their best referral partners. Building on this direction, usbank.com can increase the number of users visiting their site.
Share of Visits by Channel
Share of Visits by Channel makes it easy to find and compare market leaders. The Share of Visits by Channel table ranks competitors by Total Traffic share.
Do look at this data simply switch to the All Domains tab. Here you can see the traffic of your custom market broken down by:
- Total Traffic
- Direct Traffic
- Referral Traffic
- Search Traffic
- Social Traffic
- Paid Traffic
- Share of Visits (%)