Market Explorer’s Custom Market report gives you all of the functionality of the Growth Quadrant but goes one step further by allowing you to set the list of domains you’re comparing.
The Growth Quadrant feature in this tool reveals top industry players in the competitive landscape and divides them into four segments: Niche Players, Game Changers, Leaders, and Established Players.
With the Custom Market report, you can figure out the same four categories for a custom list of companies of your choice.
Under "the market" here we mean the market that consists of the custom list of the companies. Therefore all metrics of the market depend on what companies you've included in the market.
With Custom Market you are able to:
- Research when launching a new product or entering new territories.
- Analyze your market position and identify growth areas.
- Be aware of dangerous competitors quickly gaining momentum.
- Identify successful competitor practices.
Highlights of this report include:
- A Market Audience widget that sheds light on the target market’s demographics
- GEO Distribution of your custom market
- A Custom Market Dynamics feature allowing you to get even more specific comparisons
- Market Traffic vs Selected Domains Trends allowing to compare each website ’s progress to the total market trend
- Widgets to compare each domain’s Traffic Generation and Social Media Distribution Strategy closely
- A Share of Visits by Channel table to see which of your rivals leads in a particular digital marketing channel.
How does Custom Market work?
- Enter your list of domains on the Custom Market page by clicking the Edit Competitors button.
- Analyze the Growth Quadrant widget. You can check and uncheck domains on the right of the quadrant to zoom in/out on the most cluttered areas of the quadrant. Go through 6 months, 1 year and all time periods.
- Analyze widgets for your competitive landscape.
- Change the country and month using filters at the top of the report.
What can you discover using the Custom Market report?
1. Competitive Landscape
With SEMrush Custom Market’ Growth Quadrant, you not only get the competitive landscape for top industry players, you also get answers to your questions regarding a custom list of competitors:
- Who actively grows and becomes a Leader or a Game Changer.
- What small companies or new competitors are considered the Niche Players
- Who is the Established Player in the market, i.e. has long been in the market, has a huge amount of total traffic that is growing slowly.
If your product or brand is already present in the market, then you can include it in the list of analyzed domains. This will allow you to compare your growth and your tactics with your competitors, find out gaps, strengths, and weaknesses, and optimize your marketing and business development strategy.
We recommend you return to the report at least once a month in order to see the important changes over time.
2. Market Audience
To analyze the market audience, look at the Market Audience widget. It shows the ratio of men and women of different ages that visited the entered websites.
Using this data, you can target your marketing strategy to the right age groups with specific interests. Remember to analyze user interests in the Overview tab in the Market Explorer too (In-Market Audience Interests widget).
Along with the market audience breakdown, you can also see the global GEO Distribution of your custom market. This tells you the percentage breakdown of the top countries that contribute traffic to these sites. Next to the country percentage, you can see the total traffic gain from that country for the entire custom market, as well as the percentage of change in the analyzed month (green for positive, red for negative).
If you want to see the Growth Quadrant & Custom Market Dynamics for a specific country, you can change the region at the top of the report and these widgets will update with region-specific data.
However, please note that the Market Audience and GEO Distribution always represent the custom market’s global audience.
3. Gaps and Opportunities
In the Custom Market Dynamics section of the report, you can analyze the marketing strategies of the market players. This will help you benefit from the successful tactics of the market’s Leaders and quickly learn from the rapid growth of the market’s Game Changers.
Market Traffic vs Selected Domains Trends
- Select up to 5 domains at the same time (you can later change them).
- The widget will present their Total, Direct, Referral, Search, Social, and Paid traffic trends.
- Find insights about your competitors' strategies
- Сompare the companies’ trends with the Market Traffic trend.
For example, you can pay attention to cases such as:
- The entire market goes down in \ total or any specific source of traffic, while one of the companies is growing. You should definitely do a deep analysis of that company’s current strategy.
- There are companies that increase sharply during a seasonal change. Do they launch specific marketing campaigns or what is their secret? Identify these companies and then figure out exactly what they do using Traffic Analytics, Organic Research, Advertising Research, Display Advertising and Social Media Tracker.
Traffic Generation Strategy
The widget represents a breakdown of traffic by acquisition channels.
- Take a look at the Market line — with its help, you can determine through which channels all the analyzed companies attract traffic on average.
- Compare the traffic mix between companies and analyze the gaps.
- Think about the perspective to build on these gaps.
Take a look at the referral traffic of usbank.com. The amount of referral traffic that the website receives is 2 times lower than the average market value.
You can go even deeper and analyze which of the competitors is best in getting referral traffic, and then dive into the Traffic Analytics tool to understand who are their best referral partners. Building on this direction, usbank.com can increase the number of users visiting their site.
Share of Visits by Channel
Share of Visits by Channel makes it easy to find and compare market leaders. The Share of Visits by Channel table ranks competitors by Total Traffic share.
Direct your attention to the sections highlighted in green — these are market leaders by the amount of traffic from various traffic sources. Knowing the leaders of your market for various traffic sources, you can dive into deeper analysis using the appropriate tools to understand their specific winning tactics:
- Direct and Search — Organic Research
- Referral — Traffic Analytics (Traffic Sources tab)
- Social — Social Media Tracker
- Paid — Advertising Research and Display Advertising
You can draw some conclusions from the presented table, for example:
- The first domain, wellsfargo.com, is the market leader with a 20.34% stake in total traffic, while tdbank.com takes only 2.06% of the online traffic in the market. This means that you need to focus your efforts on analyzing the wellsfargo.com strategy in Organic Research, Traffic Analytics, and Social Media Tracker.
- Capitalone.com invests in paid traffic more than anyone else, and gets 28% of all paid traffic from the custom market. That is, almost one-third of people looking for something related to banking services in the US in the specified market click on capitalone.com ads. So it might be interesting to see their ad copy and paid keywords in Advertising Research.
Social Media Distribution Strategy
Using the Social Media Distribution Strategy widget, you can reveal which social networks your competitors focus on most of all..
Note that out of the five selected domains, сhase.com is the only one that receives social traffic from reddit.com (if you hover over the graph, you will see that chase.com receives 5.84% of the total social traffic from reddit.com). The other four companies might be interested in analyzing how their competitor uses Reddit to be so attractive to users.
Moreover, you can even find out exactly how many users come to сhase.com from reddit.com. Use the Market Traffic vs Selected Domains Trends widget. You need to multiply the total social traffic coming to the domain (852.7К comes to chase.com) by 5.84% and get about 49,797 users per month.
After studying your competitors in this report, delve into a detailed analysis using other tools of the Competitive Research Toolkit.
As with Market Explorer as a whole, the Custom Market is fully accessible to users with the Competitive Intelligence Add-on. If you are not a CI Add-on user yet, you can test the tool by entering ebay.com.