The Backlink Audit tool allows users to review their backlink profile and determine if they have any toxic links that should be disavowed. However, it may take some time for SEMrush to add your most recent backlinks to our database.
By connecting a Google Search Console account, you sync your domain’s real-time backlinks with SEMrush’s analysis of your backlinks. You will also be able to compose a Disavow file in SEMrush that can be uploaded to Google Disavow Tool.
Another benefit of integrating GSC with Backlink Audit is that you can receive up to date information on the backlinks you’ve chosen to disavow. You can import any current disavow lists you have for your properties into SEMrush with one click. Once they’re in SEMrush, you can compose a single disavow list with the data SEMrush provides and upload the list to Google Disavow Tool.
Once Google disavows the links you ask it to in the Disavow Tool, these URLs will be automatically updated within your SEMrush project once you upload them from Google.
How to Connect Google Search Console to Backlink Audit
Follow these steps to integrate Google Search Console data into your SEMrush Backlink Audit.
1. After you’ve started your Backlink Audit, navigate to the top right of your report and select integrations. From there you will be able to select Google Search Console.
If you have not previously connected a Google Account with GSC properties that match the “campaign scope” to SEMrush, you’ll see the following:
(Campaign scope is the area of your website where you are auditing backlinks, set during the configuration process of the tool)
2. Click on “Add Google Account” to pass through the Google Authorization process.
If you already have an account listed here, you can click “Share access” in the Action column. If the button says “Shared,” it means that we already have access to the property.
3. Follow the instructions on the resulting window to add your Google account to SEMrush. SEMrush automatically chooses all of the properties you have access to that match your campaign scope.
4. To share access you need to copy/paste the special Backlink Audit email address and add the user in Google Search Console. To do this, go to Google Search Console and navigate to your Settings.
5. Select “Users and permissions” and “Add User.” In order to add a user, you need to be a property owner.
6. Enter the unique backlink.audit email address that was generated for you in this field. In the image below, the address is [email protected], but you will receive your own unique address for your Project.
Choose “Full” permissions to share access. Please note that our service should have full permission to upload a Disavow file.
7. Once you’ve added the backlink.audit email as a user in Google Search Console, go back to your Backlink Audit and find the button that says “Check connection and Upload backlinks.”
8. You can see all of the properties you’ve shared with SEMrush in the “Integrations” dropdown in Backlink Audit.
If you’ve already connected Google Search Console to SEMrush in another tool, you won’t need to connect again in Backlink Audit. This is because we can see all of the connected properties in your GSC and will show the properties that match your campaign scope.
However, you still need to share access to your Google Search Console data with the special backlink.audit email address given to you in order to connect.
If you see this error, it means that we can not connect to your GSC and you should go check that you’ve added the right email:
To find the right email address, you can go back to the “Integrations” button and select “add property” under Google Search Console.
The resulting screen will show you the backlink audit email address to share your access with.
If the connection to your Google Account is not working, you may need to log out of your Google Account and log back into the correct account that has access to the Google properties that match the domain of your SEMrush Project.
To disconnect a Google Account from SEMrush, follow these steps.
“More Backlinks” Message
Did you receive a message asking if you want more backlinks?If you receive this message after selecting the green “Check connection and Upload backlinks” button, it means that we’ve checked all of your properties connected and the only way to add more backlinks would be adding more properties from GSC.
Adding Backlinks from Majestic
In addition to its integration with Google, Backlink Audit can also import backlinks from a Majestic account if you have one (up to 10 backlinks from every referring domain you have data from in Majestic). Combining Google Search Console along with SEMrush and Majestic data into one audit gives you the widest and most accurate scope of data to review your website’s backlinks.