The SEMrush Backlink Audit tool provides an in-depth look at your domain’s backlinks and helps in securing your SEO link building efforts from Google penalties. Backlinks are an important part in optimizing your SEO. But while good backlinks can have a positive impact on your SEO, poor backlinks can have the opposite effect. If Google sees suspicious backlinks pointing to your website, they may decide to penalize you for employing black-hat SEO tactics.
The user manual for Backlink Audit covers how to use each report in the tool. Jump ahead to any of the chapters below:
- Configuring Your Backlink Audit
- Auditing Your Backlinks
- Monitoring Your Lost & Found Backlinks
- Disavowing Your Backlinks
- Removing Your Backlinks
- Integration With Backlink Audit
- Connecting With Majestic
- About Anchor Texts
Who is it for?
How can you benefit from this tool?
- Analyze the links that are putting your site at risk for a Google Penalty
- Whitelist certain links that you can later determine whether or not they should be marked as toxic or suspended
- Determine what specifically is affecting a backlink by the over 50 different toxic markers
- Monitor new backlinks that are linking to your site. You can view both ‘lost’ and ‘found’ links that have appeared or disappeared over the past crawl.
- Connect the SEMrush Backlink Audit tool with your Google Search Console account, Google Analytics account, as well as your Majestic account
- Create a disavow file with your poor backlinks to send to Google and avoid a penalty
- Reach out to site owners directly to help resolve broken backlinks
- Analyze the various types of anchor text to help balance out your backlink profile
When should this tool be used?
Managing your backlink profile: Backlink Audit will assist you in managing your backlinks to ensure you that none of them are causing a risk of a Google Penalty
Auditing a client’s backlink profile for any prior suspicious activity: If you’re an SEO agency with a new client, you’ll want to get background on their past backlinks. This is a great tool to use to see if they acquired any suspicious links in the past and if you should disavow any of their links to help them dodge a penalty from Google.
Why should you use this tool?
If you find that you have several backlinks that are putting you at risk of a penalty, you can use the Backlink Audit Tool to disavow these links and keep your backlink profile clean. Disavowing links will tell Google not to take these links into consideration when ranking your domain. By integrating with Google Search Console, Google Analytics and Majestic you are able to manage all of your links in one place. This saves you time when managing your links!